A custom 1500 square foot round home in Mars Hill, NC. Open to the public to allow our costumers to come and see what net-zero living feels like in the round!
- HERS Score: 7
- Certifications: Energy Star for Homes, NC, GreenBuilt Platinum and Net-Zero Certified
- Projected Yearly Energy Savings: $1061 (compared to typical new construction)
With a design driven by passive solar principles and the with uniquely air-tight and super-insulated building envelope made possible by Deltec’s panelized building shell, this model allows all to see and feel the way we recommend that all of our customers build their homes. Mechanical systems were selected to offer highly efficient comfort in a climate that samples the extremes seen across the country: cold winters, hot summers, and considerable year-round humidity. The finishes were selected with sustainability and affordability in mind: FSC certified wood flooring, LED lighting, zero-VOC paints, metal shingle roofing with 90% recycled content and a lifetime warranty, are just some examples of the products on display. The innovation center is also a place of learning for us. We’re using it as a laboratory, to further building science by testing for wall moisture content, and to learn more about energy use in homes.
- Deltec Energy Wall (R24)
- Raised heel truss with spray foam, insulation (R30)
- Insulation under entire slab (R10)
- Extreme air-tightness (1.7ACH50)
- Passive solar design with thermal mass floor and windows Low-E tuned for solar heat gain
- Mini-split heat pump with one ductless and one ducted head
- Heat pump water heater
- ERV fresh air ventilation system
- 5.12 KW solar array